Home Buying Basics
Congratulations! If you’re here, you’ve probably decided to purchase a new Indianapolis area home, or are at least considering the possibility. The Hoagland Group has helped many buyers find their “perfect place” — but it’s still exciting every time!!!!!!
You probably have a lot of questions. Are you checking out Open Houses and searching for homes on-line? Are you wondering how this whole process works? What’s the first step? When do you actually start looking at homes? Are you reading blogs to find answers? Maybe you’ve found a home you love on-line but wonder how you go about taking a look inside. What’s a pre-approval and how do you get one? How long does it take to find a house, close, and move in?
Sound familiar? The thought of buying a home may seem a bit overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be! The first step is to find an agent who will sit down with you, answer your questions, and put together a plan based on your needs and time frame. Then when you’re ready to begin looking at homes for sale in Indianapolis and the surrounding counties, your buyer agent becomes your “go to” contact. You don’t need to call every listing agent to schedule a showing, — YOUR buyer agent does that for you! So how much does it cost to “hire” a buyer agent? That’s the best part — NOTHING!
And most importantly, your buyer agent will be representing you, not a seller. They won’t be trying to “sell” you one particular house, but instead, working to find the “perfect place for you“! It’s also more convenient to work with one person throughout the transaction. You will begin to build a relationship with your agent.
“I wanted to say thanks again for all your help in the home buying process. As a completely ignorant first-time buyer, I know I asked a lot of questions that were probably pretty stupid. You did a great job educating me about the process and taking me through all the steps. Now that all is said and done, I’m amazed at how seamless the process was. Thanks again for all your hard work, we couldn’t have done it without you! I will recommend you to anyone I know that will be looking for a home in the future.” – Carl
“They listen to your needs and go the extra mile. They helped us find our dream home in the best neighborhood for our family.” – Ashley & Michael
“They were very informative and helpful during the whole home-buying process. This was our first time buying a home and they made sure we understood each and every step. They were always available to us for questions or concerns we had. We bought a beautiful home and we owe so much to The Hoagland Group for all the hard work they put in to helping us buy the home we really wanted.” – Chris & Lindsey
Here are just some of the things The Hoagland Group does to ensure every home purchase runs smoothly from beginning to end:
- Meet with you prior to looking at properties to answer your questions and ensure you are comfortable with the process. Often we meet for a “coffee chat” (or dessert, if you’re not a coffee drinker!) just to get acquainted.
- Provide a Buyer Handbook for future reference.
- Review a transaction time line — when do things happen? (View in Buyer Handbook)
- Go over a Purchase Agreement, so you will know what to expect when you find your dream home.
- Explain how Indiana “in arrears” property taxes work
- Share what a pre-approval is and why it’s important
- Introduce you to a great lender who will help you with the financing aspect of your purchase.
- Help you evaluate different financing options to ensure the perfect fit for your financial situation.
- Provide an estimate of your closing costs.
- Put together a realistic “wish list”, location and price range for your home search.
- Discuss the pros and cons of new construction vs existing homes
- Introduce you to the best builders if you decide to consider new construction
- Get you started on a custom home search – you can register to save searches and receive daily email updates.
- Schedule showings and visit properties together at your convenience – that includes any home for sale, even New Construction and those For Sale By Owner.
- Assist you in evaluating houses and neighborhoods — which areas have the best re-sale?
- Help you determine the right price and write an offer when you find the “Perfect Place” for You!
- Represent you through the negotiating process
- Provide a custom checklist with all of the buyer “to do’s” for each transaction and check in periodically to see how things are going and offer assistance as needed
- Introduce you to excellent Home Inspectors
- Write a Buyer Response to Inspection and be your advocate ensuring all necessary repairs to the property are completed prior to closing.
- Follow up with appraisers as needed
- Provide your lender with all requested documents
- Recommend a Home Owners Insurance Agent if needed
- Assist with information and timing to transfer the utilities
- Attend your closing — we call it the “Celebration Table”!
- Follow up to ensure the possession of the property goes smoothly and everything is as expected
We’re available to answer your questions and we’ll walk you through the process from start to finish.
Here are links to other pieces of helpful information: